Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Chapter 11

The old man felt the cheap ball point pen in his coat as he walked thru the streets of Breinhardt on his way to the Breinhardt Antiques and Collectibles Shoppe. He observed the time, it would be closing soon. Must hurry. He turned onto Dresden Avenue lined with busy shops and fashionably dressed patrons leaving them, full bags in hand–a sharp contrast to the scraggily looking man sitting beside the entrance to the antique shop holding a cardboard sign: Looking for work.

"Good afternoon, sir,"said the vagrant.


But the old man passed without giving a second look, what caught his eye and nose even more was the choripan stand across the street. There was nothing like chorizo on a bun anywhere else in North America, except in the melting pot that was Breinhardt. He grabbed two, and fumbling to stash his wallet, ran back across the street, passing the bum
once again and was about to go into the store when he saw the no food or drink sign. Right below were the store hours-10am-4pm. It was 3:50 pm.



His first thought was to give a sandwich to the bum, but a voice inside restrained him which seemed odd, for the man appeared very hungry. Still, he obeyed the voice and shoved the two sandwiches into his mouth as fast as he could, as the beggar, who had not eaten all day, sat by, his mouth salivating at the sight. 


And then the old man walked into the store.

It was a crowded shop. Every square inch of space utilized, selling a trinket here, a lamp or piece of wooden furniture there, leaving a narrow maze for customers to wander. The old man saw an old lady's hand shake as she passed a bill to the store clerk–it reminded him of his wife's hand when the Parkinsons disease took over.


"Will you come down at all on the price of that chair?" a customer asked the clerk at the register.



"Ma'am, that chair has been sitting there for one hundred years, it can sit for another hundred waiting for a proper owner,"answered the rather snooty-looking man clerk,"and please keep your child's fingers off the merchandise."


The clerk then handed $1.25 to the old lady buying a bracelet.


"I thought I gave you a twenty?"she said.


"Just a minute,"said the clerk walking out from behind the register,"I thought I told you to stay out of here."


The old man thought the clerk was talking to him when he felt an arm on his shoulder and voice from behind that said,"Sir, just returning this man's wallet."


The old man turned to see the beggar handing him his wallet. "I believe this is yours,"he said to the old man.


The old man glanced instinctively at the contents, which were all still there and said,"Thank you-"

"You've done your good deed, now go, scat," interrupted the clerk walking back to the register.


"I think I gave you a twenty, sir,"said the old lady again when the clerk had returned.



"No, Mrs. Henderson," he replied,"it was a ten, I'm sure of it."


"I'd like to speak to your manager,"she said.


"He's not here,"said the clerk,"You'll have to come back tomorrow." Then he said to the old man, "Can I help you sir-we'll be closing soon?"

The old lady gave up and walked toward the door with her bag.



"Wait,"said the old man to the old woman,"I'll get your money back."


And with that the old man walked right thru the door that said "Employees Only" and knocked on the manager's office door before the clerk could stop him.


"Can I help you?"said the manager, Mr. Treadwell.


"I'm sorry, Mr. Treadwell,"said the clerk having caught up,"This man has no business barging-"


"You're the one that has no business being here,"said the old man.


"I hope this is good, sir,"said Mr. Treadwell,"I run my store like I captained my submarine back in the Navy. I know my crew and this clerk is very competent at his job."


The old man pulled out the ball point pen, "I came here to return this pen as I have a compulsive habit of forgetting to hand them back, and here it is by the way-"


"A pen,"shrugged the Mr. Treadwell," is that all?"


"No. While I awaiting my turn at the checkout desk, this clerk insulted two customers, and cheated another out of her money." And then he turned to the clerk,"You told her she gave you a ten yet I saw the twenty the old woman passed you in her trembling hands."

"Are you accusing 
me of lying?"said the clerk.



"Did you not also tell the old woman the manager was gone and here he is?"


"Is she still here?" asked the manager to which the old man nodded,"I'll handle this."


The manager then apologized to the old woman and restored the proper change to her, and then fired the clerk.


"You'll never find someone who knows this business like I do, I'm irreplaceable!" said the clerk as he grabbed his coat.


Then the old man unexpectedly opened his mouth and said,"There is only one who is Irreplaceable. For that is His name."


"And besides, I'd rather have an honest idiot run my store than a expert thief," said the manager.


Once the begrudged clerk left the manager took the ball point pen out of his pocket and said, throwing it in the trash can,"You're obviously an honest man. How would you like a job?"


"No thank you. But I'd like to recommend a person more honest than I ever was who is in desperate need of work. I'll send him in the morning."


"I'll be waiting at 8 am,"said the manager.
Then, the old man he went outside and asked to the beggar,"Are you still interested in work?"


"Absolutely, sir!"said the beggar.


"Then you shall have it here at the Breinhardt Antiques and Collectibles Shoppe."


"Oh, no that's too fancy a place for me. I am merely a beggar."


"As am I,"said the old man looking heavenward,"As are all of us."


Then the old man fed the beggar, clothed him with two suits, put him up in a hotel for two weeks, and wrote a letter of recommendation for him which read:


Dear Mr. Treadwell,


As you know from your previous career, a submarine's integrity can only be determined when exposed to the extreme pressure of the deep ocean. So was the integrity of this man when he not only extended great courtesy as I blindly passed him by, but also, having gone without food for two days, saw me drop my wallet full of cash while eating in front of him and immediately returned it. This man has impeccable integrity and I highly recommend him for employment.


"Thank you,"said the beggar as he walked up the steps of the shoppe at 8am the next morning.


"I am only doing my job," said the old man.


"Who employs you?"


"He whose pay exceeds all earthly wealth."


"I should like to work for him."


"You already do. The Employer is his name."

And the old man went on his way...






No comments:

Post a Comment